What's on in Lesbian Wellington
Lesbian coming out meet-up
Saturday 10 June 2-4pm @ LILAC Lounge, level 2, 187 Willis St.
An event at the LILAC Lounge for women who have recently come out, or are thinking about coming out as lesbian, to meet in a relaxed and supportive social environment. Pass it on - let your friends know!
DocEdge Film Festival
7th - 18th June @ The Roxy Cinema, Miramar
The annual Documentary Film Festival has a number of movies of interest including:
- Lyra - Saturday 10 June 2:25pm
- Lyra McKee, a committed journalist and activist for LGBTQ+ rights, was born in Northern Ireland during the period known as the "ceasefire baby" generation. Tragically, at the young age of 29, she was shot while covering a riot in Derry. Director Millar offers an intimate and powerful exploration of the state of "post-conflict" Northern Ireland, a quarter-century after the signing of the Good Friday Agreements. Through McKee's life and death, the film sheds light on the ongoing struggle for peace and understanding in a region still grappling with its troubled past.
- Who I Am Not - Monday 12 June 8:15pm
- The life of Sharon Rose Khumalo, a South African beauty queen, was thrown into disarray when she discovered that she was intersex. This surprising revelation led her to further explore her own identity, while also questioning why society places so much importance on gender signifiers. With the help of Dimakatso Sebidi, a male-presenting intersex activist, she begins to break down the barriers that intersex people face. The film offers up an intimate portrait of its subject's life and provides members of a persecuted minority with a much-needed public platform.
- Frances Hodgkins, Anything but a Still Life - Thursday 15 June 6pm
- Explores the life and art of celebrated New Zealand painter Frances Hodgkins. Spending much of her life and career in Europe, Hodgkins was a modernist painter whose work continues to inspire contemporary New Zealand artists. The film retraces Hodgkins' footsteps, taking viewers to the places she lived and worked, and shedding light on the challenges she faced and her unwavering commitment to her craft. The film celebrates Hodgkins' courage and determination as a pioneering woman in the arts, and her enduring legacy as a role model for women everywhere.
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Sunday 11st June: Butterfly Creek Days Bay/Eastbourne
A walk in the hills behind Eastbourne - a bit of uphill rewarded with fabulous sea and bush views. We'll go the long way - up from Days Bay, along the ridge track and then to the Creek for lunch. We can return by a different track before looking for a café. About 4 hours return including a leisurely lunch. Check the map of the East Harbour Regional Park.
Bring lunch, water and snacks in your backpack. Wear or carry a parka and sturdy footwear. A hiking pole could be useful.
Getting there: there be options ...
- East by West ferry departing Queens Wharf at 9.30am, or
- if the harbour is a tad choppy take the no. 83 bus departing Courtenay Place 9.44am then via Manners, Willis, Lambton Quay, Wellington station stop E (9.53am), Petone and Lower Hutt (10.17am).
We will meet at Williams Park in Days Bay ca. 10.40am.
Trip leader Mary 027 6261271.
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held (usually) on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 16th June from 5.30 pm
Please phone Finns and add your [first] name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table.
Winter Solstice Social
Friday 23 June from 6pm @ LILAC Lounge, level 2, 187 Willis St.
Come to the LILAC Lounge for a relaxing Friday evening social get-together. Catch up with old friends and make some new ones. Check out the latest books and the exhibitions. The wonderful map of lesbian history in Wellington is back up on the wall - it's a gem.
Light refreshments will be provided. Koha
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection
of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at level 2, 187 Willis Street (flat access
from the street, lift).
More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz - try the TinyCat searchable catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
Femmes & Thems comedy
Friday 23rd June 8 pm @ The Fringe Bar
A fine line-up of women, non-binary, & gender non-conforming funny folk.
Featuring the best non-male performers on the comedy scene joining forces to
bring the funnies to your Friday nights!
Produced by Wellington whirlwind producer Creatif Kate.
More on eventfinda - tix without dinner $25 plus fee. Follow on facebook
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Lads Lads Lads - a Drag King Show
Friday 14th July 8 pm @ The Fringe Bar
Are you ready for a boisterous band of bros? A hefty helping of handsome heirs?!
A smorgasbord of sweaty studs?!
Then grab the gang and head down to Fringe Bar on March 25th for Lads Lads Lads: A Drag King Show, and prepare yourselves for the most delightful, most glittery, most wholesome masculinity you ever did see (there will be no hazing here!) Tickets from $20. More on facebook.
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
LILAC has a Kāpiti service - bringing books, DVDs etc plus membership forms - to the monthly dinners so that women can join the library and borrow. Check the LILAC website for more information.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or an outdoor adventure
- Sidetracks women - guided outdoors adventures.
- Women's Adventures NZ - more outdoors adventures.
- Women Travel New Zealand - essential information for the woman traveller visiting New Zealand.
- New Zealand Awaits - small group trips and bespoke adventures.
Social media groups
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- Aotearoa NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow Focus - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - a group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page